[Xen-users] Re: Networking in an HVM domU - SOLVED

  • To: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:05:17 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:05:57 -0700

On 4/18/06, David Goodlad <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I can't seem to get networking to function at all in hvm/vmx guests.
> I've tried both winxp and linux guests, and neither can get any
> traffic through their network devices.  The device _is_ detected as a
> pcnet32 card, which is fine, but I see 0 packets going through, even
> at the vifx.0 virtual device on the dom0 side.
>
> Regular (modified, non-hvm) domU guests work without a problem, so
> it's not my network scripts that are broken.  It seems the emulated
> device just isn't sending/receiving any packets.

So that anyone reading this in the future, I managed to solve this
problem.  I realized that since qemu needs the tun/tap driver, I might
need it for hvm-based guests too.  It's odd that xen doesn't complain
one bit that the driver is unavailable, though.

In any case, a simple 'modprobe tun' solved this issue for me!

Dave

--
Dave Goodlad
dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx or dave@xxxxxxxxxx