RE: [Xen-users] Xen Partition Performance

"Sylvain Coutant" <sco@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 04/25/2006 07:47:09 AM:

> > I'm setting up a Xen system since I have diferent choices to
> > create the domU's partitions: raw partition, lvm, files.
> >
> > I've done some tests with hdparm and it all seems to be the same.
>
> It can if you have enough CPU in dom0. The interesting point could
> then be : how much each of those cost in CPU share in dom0 ? The
> less layers you'll have, the better it should behave. Raw partition
> should be the cheapest, closely followed by LVM and lastly files
> (which could have different results depending on fs in use: ext2,
> ext3, reiser, xfs, etc.). I'm not sure if the difference would be
> very significant. Probably, it depends on usage, number of domUs, ...

Also be aware that the devices go through the buffer cache on dom0.  I
would not be surprised that the performance to a partition, LVM volume, or
loop device is not that different, since they all hit the buffer cache,
especially if your tests do mostly reads.

Steve D.