Re: [Xen-users] Measuring overall CPU utlization

  • To: tinytim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Diwaker Gupta" <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:56:07 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:56:42 -0700

Hi Tim,

On 4/27/06, Tim Wood <twwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I notice that the xentop and xenmon tools do not try to combine the CPU
> usage of an unpriveliged domain with the CPU usage done by dom0 on its
> behalf for IO.  Has any work been done for determining the "total" CPU usage
> of each unpriveliged domain?  For example, I may have an application running
> on a VM which is very IO intensive.  As a result, its CPU allocation may be
> very low, but dom0 will be doing quite a bit of work on its behalf.
> Presumably this could be estimated to some degree by looking at the number
> of IO exchanges as reported by xenmon, but it seems like there should be a
> more precise way.

I can tell you that this problem is being looked at. Some preliminary
work was done in [1] which used I/O exchanges and there have been some
follow up efforts since then. IMHO, there's no efficient way of
directly accounting work in dom0 -- you need to work with heuristics.

[1]
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Lucy_Cherkasova/papers/final-perf-study-usenix.pdf
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net/blog