Re: [Xen-users] sharing kernels

Jeff Utter wrote:
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on the list had any clever solutions to the small problem I'm having.

I'm running Xen on FC5, with a few FC5 DomU's.

Basically i have to have kernel-xenU-version kernel-xen0-version both installed in my domU (so the domU kernel image is present in my dom0 so they can boot) as well as installing the kernel-xenU package on each of my domU's so that the libraries are present.

Would it be easy/possible/smart to setup a nfs share or something similar of my dom0's /boot partition as well as /library/modules to share to my domU's so that when i install a new kernel all i would need to do is change the domU's config file?

has anyone tried anything like that?

Hi Jeff,

I use a shared /usr partition between my dom0 and all the domU's. You may be able to do something like that.

Create a logical volume to contain /lib/modules/2.6.xx-xen. Export it in your domU definitions as one of the "disk = []" entries, read only, then add a mount line in each of your domU's for it. Guaranteed to be the same on each domU.

BTW, none of my domU's even has a /boot partition.