Re: [Xen-users] activate pci card in domU???

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 11:19 -0700, list user wrote:

> After booting that domU, lspci shows:
>
>    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme
>            BCM5702X Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)
>
> showing that the domU now owns that card; however, all attempts to
> configure it fail with tg3 timeout errors.
>
> Can somebody nudge me in the correct direction or possibly attach a
> script that they've successfully used exporting a pci device to a domU?
>
> Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Hi Mike,

Check out this e-mail from the archives:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/21087

Basically your problem is that the tg3 card puts some device specific
registers in the PCI configuration space (which I believe the PCI
specification recommends that device manufacturer's not do). As a
security measure, the configuration space is write-protected by the PCI
backend. The tg3 device driver is probably trying to enable/talk to the
card, but the PCI backend is blocking the writes. You'll need to disable
the write protection by enabling "permissive" mode as indicated in the
link above (it's a module parameter that you can pass on the kernel
command-line or enable through sysfs).

Ryan