RE: [Xen-users] poor harddisk performance HVM domain (Windows 2003guest)

I don't know - but the slowness isn't so much HVM as the way that
hardware is emulated in Xen and most importantly that there's no current
support for para-virtual drivers, or any drivers, in Xen.

The same scenario without HVM wouldn't be faster - just much harder to
do the virtualization. It's the "save everything, go off do something
else and return" that takes the time. In a non-HVM solution, you get
"save everything, figure out what is going on [what caused the exception
or whatever it is], go off do something else and return". So it's
actually faster to do it this way, it's just that either way is a lot
slower than runing on real hardware... A single IO access to a 33MHz PCI
device takes around 300 clock cycles on a modern (2GHz) machine, so it's
not going to be that immediate even on real hardware...

--
Mats