Re: [Xen-users] Paravirtualization, new installation from cdrom

Matthew Wild wrote:

On Friday 05 May 2006 16:51, Rene Purcell wrote:
Is it possible to do a fresh install from a cd in paravirtualization mode ?
just like the full virtualization, where you tell where's your iso and then
you boot and install the new OS

Can you not mount the domU's disk on the dom0, use yast2 dirinstall to install all the necessary files and then start the domU? Once that has started you can use yast from within the domU as per normal.

Matthew
Actually I was wondering the same thing... but I would not want to be restricted to yast. I would want to be able to use any distro CD or iso and be able to bootstrap a new environment (as if I had hit ctrl-alt-del on any other machine); more like how VMWare actually emulates the bios and begins a fresh boot process. It would make installation of things like mythtv or asterisk at home a whole lot easier but I imagine we would run into problems when the guest's instance of grub or lilo decides to try to write to the mbr.

At this point the only thing I could think could get you closest to it at this stage is to use the initrd images on these isos and hope the scripts don't barf on you.

Anthony