[Xen-users] HD timeouts with busy xen domains

Hi,

Now that I've got that 3-day-long, let's-waste-some-time-with-a- broken-dom0 episode, I can get back to the real problems that are preventing me from getting any use out of my Xen-based server.

What is happening, basically, is that as soon as some guest domains get busy, the hard disks go south for the winter.

I know this is not really a Xen issue (at least not directly) but as the problem only happens in a Xen setup, I thought I'd try to ask about it here.

The server has four SATA hard disks. It has worked with the same hardware setup for many months, with processor- and disk-intensive applications, with no problems. Now, I can start dom0 and guest domains with no problem, and they run fine as long as they don't try to do a lot. But as soon as they get busy - say, compiling something - the console shows an endless stream of:

ata1: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x64
ata2: command 0x25 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x64
ata4: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stat 0x4

And the system stops responding, until I reset the server or throw it out the window (well, not yet, but it's coming).

I've seen posts saying that these errors are related to APIC, so I tried adding "noapic acpi=off" to the dom0 kernel command line. No change.

If anyone's wondering why ata3 isn't in the list... it's a different drive - a 250GB WD while 1, 2 and 4 are 400GB Seagates. Interesting?

Any ideas/suggestions?

TIA, Itai