Re: [Xen-users] lustre clustre file system and xen 3

Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
Karsten Nielsen wrote:
Mayby I frased my question wrong. I have read a lot on the mailing list
about pros and cons of different ways to make the file backend avalible
to multiple physical servers.

But it seems that there are no real good answer to that question as fare
as I have read. There are pros and cons to every solution.

What I was looking for is a file backend that performs very well and is
relayable.

If I want to use ocfs2 I cannot resize the file system.
(http://www.mail-archive.com/ocfs2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00059.html)
If I want to use GFS it's performence is not that great
(http://guialivre.governoeletronico.gov.br/mediawiki/index.php/TesteGFSGraficoRaid10_ext3vsgfs
  and
http://guialivre.governoeletronico.gov.br/mediawiki/index.php/TestesGFS )

Mayby I am making this to complicated and should not worry about the
lock system of clustre file systems what I am looking for is realy
performance and relyability.

Any hints ?
And why do you think that Lustre is at bad idea ?

I think Lustre is fine, although it's most likely overkill for just two
app servers.  DRBD is probably closer to what you want.  I think the
file backend portion is a bad idea.  It's a bad idea to unnecessarily
involve a filesystem cache.  Unless I had a very large cluster, I would
still probably use GFS.

The reason fore having a file backend is that I will be able to live imigrate domU's from one server to the next in case of hardware failor or extremly high load on one of the physical servers.

If I understand you correct you suggest that I make a lot of storage avaliable on both application servers and syncronize data with DRBD ?

But if I add a 3. application server that setup does not work unless i add storage space on all three application servers and implement that in the DRBD ?