Re: [Xen-users] mac spoofing

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:51:28PM +0200, Heiko.Garrelfs wrote:
> My Rootserver stands at a hoster ( german 1und1 ), I run a debian sarge
> and installed Xen 3 there latetly.
> I booted the xen Kernel - everything ok.
> However: when I started xend, the server instantly stopped responding.
> My Hosters Support said, that was due to a sort of mac spoofing
> protection in the switch, which disabled the Port, to which my server is
> connected, because there arrived an unknown Mac Address from my Server
> at the switchport.
>
> ( btw: at that point,  I had not configured any domU's )
>
> From the Xen Docs I understand that the bridge gets the mac from eth0
> which is then diabled.
>
> So - I dont understand where the 'spoofed' Mac is coming from - at least
> as long I have no domU running.

I don't know where the packets are coming from either.  But see below.

> ( I dont want to use NAT: I have two IPs ( only one NIC )for the Server
> and want the dom0 and one domU to run on one IP each. )

Have you tried the routed network configuration?  That should avoid the
problem of spoofed MAC addresses, since it doesn't use the bridging
code, and should configure Dom-0 to use proxy ARP so that all your IP
addresses will be accessible to the outside using your original MAC
address.

--Michael Vrable