Re: [Xen-users] /dev/loop on Debian Sid

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 06:02:23PM +0200, Morten Christensen wrote:
> I have Xen 3.0.2 running on Debian Unstable with a straightforward
> setup, mainly based on this howto
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/396.

  :)

> Google have pointed me to this solution:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-01/msg01302.html
>
> That is, on the dom0-console I enter
> mknod /dev/loop8 b 7 8
> losetup /dev/loop8
>
> to be able to start my domU's.
>
> How can I get this done by the system itself (something in the
> xend-init-file might be a workaround) ?

  You shouldn't need to.

  The mknod will persist assuming you're running a static /dev, and
 if you're using a dynamic one you should have the correct devices
 created when you load the loop module.

  One think you should do is add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/loop

options loop max_loop=255

  This will allow you to have a lot of devices when loading the loop
 module, rather than the default of 8.

  See here for a quick writeup:

        http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/xen-tools/loopback.html

Steve