Re: [Xen-users] EVMS or GFS

On Thursday 25 May 2006 10:55 am, Karsten Nielsen wrote:
> I have a lot of troble to get the GFS to work on xenified kernel 2.6.16.
> Whereas I have no problem patching the xenified kernel with the evms
> patches. I haven't tryed booting the kernel yet but it compiled fine.

the choice isn't between GFS and EVMS, because they are at different levels of
any solution. EVMS is a volume manager, like LVM; while GFS is a filesystem
(like ext3 or reiser, but cluster-aware)

in your case, i would use a volume manager (CLVM or EVMS) to manage the
storage and split into logical volumes, and give them to the Xen domUs.  no
need to use any filesystem layer between the VBDs and the storage server.

> Can I change the setup to allow more storage servers for HA ?

using DRBD you can mirror the storage server transparently to the app servers.
if you add more storage servers (or DRBD pairs of servers), just add to the
volume group and all app servers would get more storage to either add more
logical volumes or extend existing ones.

--
Javier