RE: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool

  • To: "Jerry Amundson" <jerry@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:32:34 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 31 May 2006 01:38:20 -0700

Yes, MS Office is Corporate standard even for Open Source developers -
It doesn't help to have unwieldy and difficult URL's for trivial things
either... :-(

> I made changes with info from the above link, plus the
> anandtech link posted earlier... Merged, because of course
> the lists don't match exactly.
>
> > All Athlon/Opteron/Turion brand products in AM2 sockets should have
> > SVM (please don't use Pacifica, as that's the internal
> code-name, and
> > it is under copyright by some other company... The proper terms are
> > "AMD Virtualization technology" or "Secure Virtual Machine", the
> > latter shortened to SVM.)
> >
> > As the processor requires a new motherboard, there's less
> likelyhood
> > for the trouble that some people have had with Intel
> systems where the
> > enabling of VT doesn't work or isn't available...  As far
> as I know,
> > there are no Rev F processors that doesn't have
> virtualization, aside
> > from the Sempron models (which is one of the
> differentiating factors
> > between Sempron and the more expensive models - not sure what else
> > besides the obvious cache size differences... Although I can't find
> > any list of differences and there's currently no AM2
> docuementation on
> > the Web-site, besides the simple compare products pages,
> which don't
> > git much details, unfortunately).
>
> So it seems "Rev F" and "socket AM2" are key pieces, in
> addition to model number? And "Rev F" applies to all models?

Rev F is the version that has SVM, which is also the version of
processor that has DDR2 interface. The new DRAM interface means a new
sockets, AM2 being the "desktop" version of socket. There's also a
Socket S1 which is for mobile platforms and a Socket F that is for
servers, i.e. Opteron models of the processor. [AM2 was originally
called M2, but that's a trademark of some other company, so we had to
change it...]

The key is really Rev F, sockets are just a side-effect of the revision,
if you see what I mean.

There is, listed on the "Compare processors" page, Sempron with Socket
AM2 (i.e. DDR2) - These could, in theory, have Virtualization, since
they would be of the same generation of processor core as the more
expensive models - but I couldn't find any detailed specs. The Anandtech
site indicates that Sempron isn't going to support virtualization
hardware, so the safer guess is that it's not supported on this product.

--
Mats