Re: [Xen-users] Windows XP on VMX freeze

I don't have a solution - but I can report that I have seen
the same thing.  I installed OpenSuse10.1 on my VT enabled
system and when attempting to boot WindowsXP the system
froze up.  The only response I could get was from the reset
button.

_Mike_

Yuan, Jue wrote:
Hi all.

I have a PC with Intel PD 930 and motherboard BIOS VT-enabled. The OS I am running is SuSE 10.1, with Xen installed.

I have viewed the 'Xen Full Virtualization Example' on http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example . But when following that example to try to install Windows XP SP2 as a virtual machine, I got a strange problem: the process freeze when it has just begun :-(

The console shows:
#xm create -c winxp_cd.hvm
Using config file "winxp_cd.hvm"

Then the whole system freezes. I had to press 'reset' button in order to let it reboot.

What am I doing wrong? Any idea would be very appreciated. :-)

Thanks in advance.

The following is config file I use to boot Windows XP from CD:

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm create'. # You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or # you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

# The domain build function. HVM domain uses 'hvm'.
builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 384
# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "winxp_cd"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# the number of cpus guest platform has, default=1
#vcpus=1

# enable/disable HVM guest PAE, default=0 (disabled)
#pae=0

# enable/disable HVM guest ACPI, default=0 (disabled)
#acpi=0

# enable/disable HVM guest APIC, default=0 (disabled)
#apic=0

# List of which CPUS this domain is allowed to use, default Xen picks
#cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0"        # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0' ]
# type=ioemu specify the NIC is an ioemu device not netfront
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

#disk = [ 'phy:hda1,hda1,r' ]
disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Configure the behaviour when a domain exits.  There are three 'reasons'
# for a domain to stop: poweroff, reboot, and crash.  For each of these you
# may specify:
#
#   "destroy",        meaning that the domain is cleaned up as normal;
#   "restart",        meaning that a new domain is started in place of the old
#                     one;
#   "preserve",       meaning that no clean-up is done until the domain is
#                     manually destroyed (using xm destroy, for example); or
#   "rename-restart", meaning that the old domain is not cleaned up, but is
#                     renamed and a new domain started in its place.
#
# The default is
#
#   on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#   on_reboot   = 'restart'
#   on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# For backwards compatibility we also support the deprecated option restart
#
# restart = 'onreboot' means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'
#
# restart = 'always'   means on_poweroff = 'restart'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# restart = 'never'    means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'destroy'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'destroy'
on_crash    = 'destroy'

#============================================================================

# New stuff
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Disk image for cdrom='/dev/sr0'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d) boot='d'
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  write to temporary files instead of disk image files
#snapshot=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable SDL library for graphics, default = 0
sdl=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable VNC library for graphics, default = 1
vnc=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable spawning vncviewer(only valid when vnc=1), default = 1
vncviewer=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# no graphics, use serial port
#nographic=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
stdvga=0

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# serial port re-direct to pty deivce, /dev/pts/n # then xm console or minicom can connect
serial='pty'

# enable ne2000, default = 0(use pcnet)
ne2000=0

#   enable audio support
#audio=1

#    set the real time clock to local time [default=0 i.e. set to utc]
#localtime=1