[Xen-users] My Xen 3.0.2 problems

I'd like to document some problems that I've run into with Xen 3.0.2.

My dom0 is running Ubuntu 6.0.6 TS (dapper), and I'm using udev.

1. Every time I reboot the server, I must re-run install.sh from the Xen tarball, otherwise xend will not start.

2. I must then start xend manually (based on #1). Only after then restarting xend, will 'peth0' be added to xenbr0. However, that action will then bring down all aliases of eth0 (eth0:1, eth0:2, etc), which I must then 'ifconfig up'. To be clear, I start xend and then restart xend and bring up and down all my ethernet aliases.

3. After booting and then destroying approximately 25 domains, the system will require a reboot before I can add further domains. The error I receive is (approximately) 'cannot create vif'. If I comment the 'vif=' line in the domain's configuration, I then receive 'cannot create vbd'. I suspect if I restart xenstored, this may be fixed, but I haven't yet had a chance to test that.

4. I've found that ethernet adapter aliases (eth0:1, etc) do not work properly within my DomU. I've worked around this issue by assigning each IP address to "eth0" and then reassigning it to the intended alias (eth0:1). Perhaps I could find a solution to this via /proc or 'arp', but I haven't yet researched further than discovering the above work-around. I should note that I on the guest I recognized this problem, I am using a Xen 3.0.1 kernel DomU kernel against my Xen 3.0.2 host.

I thank everyone for their time, especially the developers. I do hope that these problems can be resolved as they have made my deployment unnecessarily painful. The latter two bugs in particular, if I cannot determine a solution, will cause my company to temporarily cease further Xen deployments (until the bug is fixed) Regardless, Xen is a great product and I'm very happy with the progress it has made. Cheers!

--
Eric Windisch