Re: [Xen-users] pcifront pci-0: pciback not responding (tg3)

buw20031220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
> I am desperately trying to get pci-passthrough to working.
> I want to pass a tg3 nic to domU.
>
> when booting domU I get a lot of messages:
> pcifront pci-0: pciback not responding!!!

If I understand your issue correctly I believe the following should at
least provide some explanation for the behavior you're experiencing.

All tg3 devices are a bit quirky and need extra handling to work with
Xen.  Specifically, they require that certain non-standard parts of
their PCI configuration space be writable.

Try using a recent version of xen-unstable, which should have a patch
that alleviates the problem you're having, but be warned the fix leaves
something to be desired from a security perspective.  There is
in-progress work on the pciback driver to address the security concerns
of the current fix.  Stay tuned to the xen-devel list if interested.

If the problem persists on the newest xen-unstable please post a
description of the problem to xen-devel for greater visibility.

Cheers
-Chris