[Xen-users] (xen) Possible bug: Memory squeeze in netback driver.

Hi everybody,

When I start more than about 3 domU's the following messages are
logged in dom0:

Jun  6 18:30:03 thebe kernel: printk: 18 messages suppressed.
Jun  6 18:30:03 thebe kernel: xen_net: Memory squeeze in netback
driver.
Jun  6 18:30:03 thebe last message repeated 9 times

This progressively gets worse when I start more and more domU's, up
until the point some or all domU's lose their network connectivety.

When I google on the error message, a few pages turn up, but no real
sollutions.

I'll try to describe my setup in detail:

the hardware:

AMD Opteron 144
4 GB ram
Dual Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
controllers

It's Aplus hardware from supermicro.

the software:

Suse Linux 10.1, default kernel: 2.6.16.13-4-xen
Xen version 3.0.2_09656-4 (abuild@xxxxxxx) (gcc version 4.1.0 (SUSE
Linux)) Tue May  2 01:39:27 UTC 2006

I've got two bridges: xenbr0 and xenbr1:
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.0
                                                        peth0
                                                        vif1.0
(all vifX.0)
xenbr1          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.1
                                                        peth1
                                                        vif1.1
(all vifX.1)

So basically I've got two seperate lans, available to all domains. No
NAT. One lan is an internal vlan, the other lan is the public
internet.
Each domain runs an iptables firewall, including domain0. The firewall
is your basic run-of-the-mill iptables firewall, rules are matching
eth0 and eth1, no special modules are used.

domain0's got plenty of free ram when the memory squeeze happens:
thebe:~ # free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers  cached
Mem:          1506        646        859          0        290  101
-/+ buffers/cache:        255       1250
Swap:         4102          0       4102

--
Erik Hensema (erik@xxxxxxxxxxx)