[Xen-users] Kernel panic booting dom0, possible initrd problem?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Justin Mahood" <jbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:56:00 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:57:06 -0700

Hey all,

I'm running SLES9 as my dom0 on a Dell Poweredge2850.  I have 6 SCSI hard disks
running RAID 10 off from the onboard RAID controller.  I installed the xen
binaries seemingly without any issues, but whenever I try to boot the Xen
kernel, I get a kernel panic and the system immediately reboots.

I don't have a log of the failure text, but the panic deals with being unable
to find the root path that I've set, /dev/sda1.  My initial guess is that this
is an initrd issue because of the SCSI/MEGARAID controller.  I'm using the
initrd pacakged with the xen binaries for SLESsp2.  I also tried booting with
the regular SLES initrd and got the same panic.

If it is an initrd issue, how do I add specific modules to the existing xen
initrd?  I've tried using mkintird, but I can seemingly never get it to work
right.

I'm fairly desperate, so any advice you can give me would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Justin Mahood