RE: [Xen-users] Fedora Core 5 /lib/tls

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 12:52 +0200, Kevin van Kuik wrote:

>    ***************************************************************
>    ***************************************************************
>    ** WARNING: Currently emulating unsupported memory accesses  **
>    **          in /lib/tls glibc libraries. The emulation is    **
>    **          slow. To ensure full performance you should      **
>    **          install a 'xen-friendly' (nosegneg) version of   **
>    **          the library, or disable tls support by executing **
>    **          the following as root:                           **
>    **          mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled                    **
>    ** Offending process: init (pid=1)                           **
>    ***************************************************************
>    ***************************************************************
>
> I've proceeded to rename /lib/tls to /lib/tls.disabled. I also added to
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nosegneg.conf the following line.

You can usually ignore this.  If you're running FC5, then the libraries
automatically switch between direct tls and the nosegneg xen-optimised
version based on the kernel's advertised capabilities.

The problem is that statically-compiled binaries don't switch to the
nosegneg version, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that
except to recompile the binary in question.  But very very few binaries
are statically compiled, and those that are are typically not
performance-critical, so they don't cause a problem.

In rawhide (pre-FC6), libc.a recently changed to use nosegneg by
default, so these straggling tls binaries should disappear after a
rebuild.

Cheers,
 Stephen