[Xen-users] Cannot create vbd / cannot create vif

Last week, I mentioned an error I was getting, as described below. I've seen several mailing list posts describing a similar problem as far back as December, 2005. This seems to be a problem plaguing all Xen 3 releases (to date).

3. After booting and then destroying approximately 25 domains, the system will require a reboot before I can add further domains. The error I receive is (approximately) '(vif) could not be connected'. If I comment the 'vif=' line in the domain's configuration, I then receive '(vbd) could not be connected'. Both messages were also followed by "Hotplug scripts not working." I suspect if I restart xenstored, this may be fixed, but I haven't yet had a chance to test that.

Upon further review, I think my problem is happening once two domains are started that have the same mac address assigned to their vif devices. When a second domain comes online with the same MAC address as an existing domain, Xen will not be able to create the vif, and exits -- but it does NOT properly clean up. After that point, Xen will refuse to create even properly-configured domains. No domains may be created from that point forward, until a reboot. I haven't yet found a workaround.

Once the system has encountered this problem, I see several variables within xenstore-ls associated with each of the domains which failed to 'create'. I manually removed the associated variable trees with xenstore-rm, but I still wasn't able to create a new domain, again with the message "(vdb) could not be connected".

Please let me know if you need further information to reproduce the error.. ;-)

Below is an excerpt from xenstore-ls showing information about a domain (rjackson) which was never created.. (I attempted to start it a few times, as you can see)

Thank you.

--
Eric Windisch

local = ""
 domain = ""
  0 = ""
   cpu = ""
    0 = ""
     availability = "online"
    1 = ""
     availability = "online"
   memory = ""
    target = "1896448"
   name = "Domain-0"
   console = ""
    limit = "1048576"
   vm = "/vm/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
   domid = "0"
   backend = ""
    vbd = ""
     23 = ""
      2049 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/23/device/vbd/2049"
       dev = "sda1"
       state = "5"
       params = "mapper/XenDomains-rjackson"
       mode = "w"
       frontend-id = "23"
       type = "phy"
      2050 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/23/device/vbd/2050"
       dev = "sda2"
       state = "1"
       params = "mapper/Swap-rjackson"
       mode = "w"
       frontend-id = "23"
       type = "phy"
     24 = ""
      2049 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/24/device/vbd/2049"
       dev = "sda1"
       state = "5"
       params = "mapper/XenDomains-rjackson"
       mode = "w"
       frontend-id = "24"
       type = "phy"
      2050 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/24/device/vbd/2050"
       dev = "sda2"
       state = "1"
       params = "mapper/Swap-rjackson"
       mode = "w"
       frontend-id = "24"
       type = "phy"
     25 = ""
      2049 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/25/device/vbd/2049"
       dev = "sda1"
       state = "5"
       params = "mapper/XenDomains-rjackson"
       mode = "w"
       frontend-id = "25"
       type = "phy"
      2050 = ""
       domain = "rjackson"
       frontend = "/local/domain/25/device/vbd/2050"