Re: [Xen-users] Kubuntu host running, guest win XP doesn't start

you should choose a way as close as possible to http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example

I have played around a bit, almost everything that I changed from this Setup did
not work. (vnc/sdl works)
Thanks for your mail. I already knew this tutorial, but it gives info to boot windows in a disk image. But OK, I tried it and got :
Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-04/msg00706.html suggests
losetup -d /dev/loopX
which doesn't work with X=0 or X=1, but running "losetup -f" before xm create makes the error message disapear. (and I tried to launch windows again while I forgot to destroy it first, I got

Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected.
File /var/lib/xen/images/windisk.img is loopback-mounted through /dev/loop0,
which is mounted in a guest domain,
and so cannot be mounted now.

so I guess there is no more loop problem)

Then I went to http://mccune.ece.cmu.edu/wordpress/?page_id=145 and following his advice I tried to use an image for the cdrom:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=winxp_installer.iso
and put in the config file
cdrom='/var/lib/xen/images/winxp_installer.iso'
This page suggests
modprobe loop
which also makes the error message disapear.
But I still get

# xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0     1024     2 r-----    68.3
winxp                              1      512     1 -b----     0.0

I have a few lines (probably one per attempt at xm create) in /var/log/xen-hotplug.log
xenstore-read: couldn't read path backend/vbd/42/768/node
whrere 42 is acutally betxeen 1 and 6.

I'd like to be able to run windows from a hard disk partition, so that I can sometimes boot windows natively and use the whole ram. I've spent much time, if there is no more idea, I'm now considering giving up.
Thanks,
Jean-Baptiste Rouquier