Re: [Xen-users] Suse on FC4-Xen

Claris Castillo wrote:
I have been able to setup FC guest domains on Xen FC4 successfully. However, I have spent hours "googling" on how to create a Suse Domain on Xen (FC) and have not been able to find anything about it. I am particularly confused about (1) where to obtain the kernel (DomU) that should be put on /boot and (2) how to create a
Suse Image in the guest domain.
The following is only somewhat tested. That is to say, with some time, effort, and mangling, I got SUSE installed and working and then documented the following, but haven't used these instructions for the creation of a new DomU. As to the question if I documented everything? I don't think so, but this should at least give you a decent head start. I should also note that the following instructions are for creating an x86_64 DomU, which is a bit harder with SUSE than creating a 32-bit one. By default, SUSE will attempt to install a broken kludge of 32-bit and 64-bit packages on x86_64, so I excluded 32-bit for the installation of the base system (first command), and then allowed 32-bit for the installation of Yast (second command).

Please notify me if you make any improvements ;-)

% yum –exclude=*32bit* –exclude=*bootloader* –exclude=*.i586 \
–exclude=yast* -c \
http://eric.windisch.us/files/bootstrap-opensuse-10.1.repo \
–installroot=/mnt/destination install \
$(wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/setup/descr/Min-10.1-67.noarch.sel | sed -n ‘/^+Ins:$/,/^-Ins:$/{ /:$/d; p; }’) yum

% yum -c \
http://eric.windisch.us/files/bootstrap-opensuse-10.1.repo \
–installroot=/mnt/destination install yast

One caveat to be aware of with SUSE 10.1 DomU.. with SUSE, you should use a static ethernet MAC address on the vif so that the ethernet address device name doesn't change on every boot. Alternatively, there is a variable somewhere, I believe under /etc/sysconfig/, that lets you disable this "feature".

--
Eric Windisch