Re: [Xen-users] Re: Safe partitioning for XEN?

On Sunday 11 June 2006 8:59 pm, Kyler Laird wrote:
> GUID partition tables provide relief from some of the problems of MSDOS
> partitions without the complexity of LVM.  The other advantage for me is
> that GPT partitions are easily used with shared disks without the
> cluster support LVM requires.  That's a requirement for some of my Xen
> installations.

AFAIK, GPT partitions can't be modified while online; that is, to repartition
your shared disk you'd have to stop any process that uses that disks.  Am I
right?

if that's so, you could just as well use plain LVM.  it's safe to use on a
shared disk without any problem, just don't modify it while shared.  if you
want to change it, do a "vgchange <name> -an" on all nodes except one, change
anything you want, and do a "vgscan; vgchange -ay" on the other nodes.

--
Javier