Re: [Xen-users] Xen3.0, LSI MegaRaid, Debian

I had this (or very similar problem) and it was solved once I moved the
megaraid driver module to initramfs image.
You will need initramfs-tools package. Then compile the kernel with the
SCSI and Megaraid drivers as modules and
run mkinitramfs -o /boot/initramfs.img 2.6.16-xen0. Then add "module
/initramfs.img" to the Xen entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Here is content of my /etc/mkinitramfs/modules file:

scsi_mod
sd_mod
megaraid
megaraid_mbox
megaraid_mm

Hope this helps.

Sebastian Ewert wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Problem: Debian(linux-image-xen-686) Dom0 does not boot from LSI MegaRaid
>
> I'm sorry, because I don't know if I'm at the right place to ask for a
> solution for my problem, because it might be Debian related.
> Nethertheless I try:
>
> Xen Kernel are in Debian Unstable for a month or so. I'm running an
> Etch (testing) machine here and I wanted to try out Xen. I followed
> this guide here:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/396
>
> The only difference is that I set APT::Default-Release "testing"; in
> my apt.conf so that the rest of the system stays in etch (just the xen
> kernels are not in etch).
>
> In my system is a LSI Megaraid SCSI Controller; there no problem
> booting from it using the xen-less Debian Kernel. But when I boot up
> the Xen Kernel I get some IO Error messages about sda (some sectors;
> especially sector 0). The boot process ends with the message "Waiting
> for root filesystem" and after a while I'm in BusyBox.
>
> I tried the same guide from above in a VMware machine (so without
> complicated hardware) and everything worked out fine.
>
> I would like to give more boot screen messages but I don't know how I
> can save them (since the boot process is interupted).
>

> Thank you in advance for any idea or direction where to go...
>

> Sebastian Ewert

Yuri Pismerov, System Administrator
Armor Technologies (Canada) Inc.

P: 905 305 1946 (x.3519)