Re: [Xen-users] Xen3.0, LSI MegaRaid, Debian

Hi Bruno,

thank you very much for your answer.

I don't have any experience with vanilla kernels under debian. I know that
debian does not patch their kernels a lot (compared to other distros), but a few patches, that might be important, are also in debian kernels. For example one, that allows APT to overwrite files that are currently in use. So I don't know if your config would also work against the debian patched kernel.

Another reason I would like to stick to debian stock kernels is because of
security updates (with everything I have to do outside APT, I'm a bit lazy
sometimes; I have to admit that to myself)

But don't get me wrong; I really appreciate your detailed post! Really nice to see that it is possible at least with a vanilla kernel to get Xen and the LSI adapter to work with each other. But I hope that that is also possible with the debian patched kernel.

So my question is if somebody knows if there is a way so that I can get the LSI adapter to work with the Debian Xen kernel.

Thank you in advance...

bruno taranto wrote:
1. Get the lastest xen-src.
2. copy to your /usr/src/
2. tar xzf xen-unstable-src.tgz
3. cd /usr/src/xen-unstable-dir/
3. make world (be sure your box has internet access to xen get the linux-2.6.16 from kernel.org <http://kernel.org>).
4. make install
5. copy my .config(config-2.6.16-xen-ok) to your xen_unstable_directory/linux.2.6.16-xen/ (dont forget to rename to .config)
6. at /usr/src/xen-unstable-dir/ run the commands:
make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig (my .config has much trash)
make linux-2.6-xen-build
make linux-2.6-xen-install
depmod 2.6.16-xen
mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
7. dont forget to change your boot loader.
8. reboot