Re: [Xen-users] Best Distro for Xen, Software Raid and LVM

Tony Hernandez wrote:
> I've tried Ubuntu (Breezy and Dapper) and CentOs 4.3. I wasn't satisfied
with either.  When I installed Dom0, I configured the drives for software
raid and lvm.  Then after downloading the Xen source, building and
installing it, I couldn't get the Xen kernel to boot.  The difficulty was
only componded by both distros installing LILO.

Any insight into this area would be appreciated.

I've used Xen 3.0.0 thru 3.0.2 on Ubuntu Breezy/Dapper and CentOS 4.2/4.3, and had zero problems with Xen, grub, raid and LVM on any of them. Both of these OS's use GRUB by default, not LILO. I don't even know *HOW* to get them to use LILO instead (who would want to?).

As far as LVM and RAID go, I use LVM on every Linux system I have. I refuse to try to manage disk space without it anymore. My home server uses software raid level 1 on two disks, and I have LVM running on top of that, with zero effect on Xen or any other software. All of that system's filesystems are located within the raid/LVM volume groups, with the lone exception is the /boot partition, which I always make a separate primary partition with EXT3 filesystem.

As far as backing up the /boot partition, having a second copy on a second disk, just in case, isn't a difficult thing to maintain. As long as it's an active partition, if the first disk totally dies, it's copy of /boot ought to be visible, if needed. I haven't actually proved it in the real world, since, knock on wood, none of my hard drives have actually failed.