Re: [Xen-users] Re: Best Distro for Xen, Software Raid and LVM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Tony Hernandez" <ttony.hernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:46:55 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:47:34 -0700

Hey all,

Thanks for the info.

So what I gather is that when I originally setup Dapper or Debian, that I should setup two sotware raid devices, one for /boot and the other for LVM?  Then GRUB will be able to read /boot and we won't need LILO?

Tony

On 6/14/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:48:16AM -0500, Tony Hernandez wrote:
> I'm looking for people's experiences with distros that work best with Xen
> 3.0.2, software raid, and lvm.
>
> I've tried Ubuntu (Breezy and Dapper) and CentOs 4.3.

> with either.  When I installed Dom0, I configured the drives for software
> raid and lvm.  Then after downloading the Xen source, building and
> installing it, I couldn't get the Xen kernel to boot.  The difficulty was
> only componded by both distros installing LILO.

You put your /boot onto LVM.  Don't do that.  It makes baby $DEITY cry. Grub
doesn't do LVM -- it has an allergy.  Instead, you put your /boot onto a
separate MD device, which Grub *can* read (by the simple expedient of just
ignoring the MD metadata, IIRC) to get your HV, kernel, and initrd.

Ubuntu most certainly uses Grub by default, but /boot on LVM forces it to
use icky LILO instead.  It should have given some sort of warning about that
during the install -- it's certainly how I found out about the problem
originally.  Maybe Dapper's done away with that bit of user-pestering.

- Matt