[Xen-users] Re: Serial port fort domU

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 05:40:56PM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> I have a modem on dom0 which I need to make accessible to one of my domU
> servers (for hylafax).
>
> ttyS0 is ok on dom0:
>
> serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>
> but I can't access it on domU. I have a common kernel for dom0 and domU
> (2.6.16.19 xen 3.0.2) with serial port support as module.
>
> Am I missing something? Is this a xen limitation?

You need to blacklist the serial drivers from the dom0 and make sure that
you don't have the hypervisor on a serial port, then just add the relevant
entries in the domU config.

Blacklist serial:

echo "8250\n8250_pnp\nserial_core" >> /etc/hotplug/blacklist

Hypervisor off the serial port: ensure that xencons=tty is on the command
line for your Xen kernel, and console=vga on your hypervisor command line

domU config:

interrupt = [ 4 ]
ioports = [ "3f8-3ff" ]

- Matt