[Xen-users] xen and bonding

Hi,

I'm investigating the use of Xen for a new project, and have come up against a
possible problem that I haven't been able to solve myself yet, and I'm hoping
someone here can help.

Firstly, some background.
Our web presence is currently served by a pair of failover firewalls, a pair
of failover webservers, a pair of failover databases, etc.
Now though our biggest customer wants us to be more reliable, and resilient,
even though we're not exactly unreliable now!
What they want is dual power supplies everywhere, immediate automatic failover
everywhere, each half of a pair in physically separate racks, etc.
Heartbeat does our failover, and as we require the backup to be up and running
at all times, virtual IPs are used, so each VM must be able to add IP aliases
at anytime without the host doing anything.

To save money, and not waste huge amounts of horse power (our stuff is several
years old, and still perfectly capable), we want to use Xen for certain
things. Hence me being here.

The problem I'm coming up against now is ethernet bonding. Dual PSU switches
are expensive, and rare, but Linux supports ethernet bonding easily, so I
want to put 2 switches wherever there would be one, and
round-robin/active-backup all connections.
I've given up on bonding interfaces on the host, as the moving about of
IPs/MACs, renaming interfaces, doesn't work* with bonding.
So I've moved on to bonding interfaces inside the VM. The bond comes up
properly, lists both interfaces, but it doesn't get any MII interfaces so no
failover will ever occur, in round-robin setup half the packets will get lost
if a switch/port fails.

Thoughts/advice anyone?

Thanks

* /proc/net/bonding/ contains a list of "bonds", renaming bond0 to pbond0
means that bond0 can't be started as it doesn't exist anymore.

--
Mike Williams
System Administration Manager - Comodo