Re: [Xen-users] Looking for tips about Physical Migration on XEN

On Monday 19 June 2006 6:01 pm, tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> AoE exports a block device, AFAIK, this means you can _not_ have two nodes
> accessing (mounting) it at the same time or you are basically guaranteed

that's precisely the point of it.  AoE (or NBD, or iSCSI, or FC) gives you a
block device.  you then partition it (GPT, LVM, EVMS) and _DON'T_ mount those
LV on dom0, just give them to the domUs.  only one domU would mount each LV,
no problem there.  when migrating, the 'new' domU must have access to the
same LV, but at that time, the 'old' domU isn't running anymore. so, at no
moment any LV is used by more than one domU.

> Also, at least with the version I tested, the vblade write performance
> sucked (5 Mbyte vs 40 Mbyte read) ... and the coraid docs showed similar
> numbers 5 Mbyte/s read/write per drive. That may be perfectly acceptable
> for you. It isn't bad. I tried nbd and it was much more symetric (40 or
> more Mbyte/sec both ways).

i haven't tested vblade yet, but the Coraid 15-bay SATA box gives me easily
over 45-50MB/sec either read or write on GbE, no jumbo-frames (yet)

--
Javier