[Xen-users] Expected network throughput

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Roger Lucas" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:03:24 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:04:07 -0700

Hi,

I have just started to work with Xen and have a question regarding the
expected network throughput.  Here is my configuration:

Processor:              2.8 GHz Intel Celeron (Socket 775)
Motherboard:    Gigabyte 8I865GVMF-775
Memory:         1.5 GB
Basic system:   Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake
Xen version:    3.02 (Latest 3.0 stable download)

I get the following iperf results:

Src             Dest                            Throughput
Dom0            Dom0    (127.0.0.1)             1.8 Gbits
DomU            DomU    (127.0.0.1)             2.1 Gbits
Dom0            DomU                            125 Mbits
DomU            Dom0                            80 Mbits
DomU            DomU                            55 Mbits

If I go DomU-DomU-DomU then I get about 35 Mbits.  For all the above tests,
the CPU load is 100%.

I have experienced the tcp checksum corruption issue, so I have use the
"ethtool -K iface tx off" fix.  I have also run "xm sched-sedf 0 0 0 0 1 1"
to help improve the performance (as recommended on one of the mailing list
posts).

With this class of processor and memory, I would have hoped that the network
performance between DomU instances was better.  Is this an unreasonable
hope, or would I get better performance moving to the 3.0-Testing release
(and would this fix the TCP checksum corruption)?

Thanks,

Roger