Re: [Xen-users] Swap File

Hi Dave

I had the same problem and what I discovered was that while it would make sense that Xen would use loop0, then loop1, then loop2, then loop3 etc ... it doesn't. Instead what xen does is: use loop0, then loop1, then loop10, then loop11, then loop12 and so on. Why? My guess is that it probably uses the same logic of `ls`. If you run `ls /dev/loop*` (running `ls -l /dev/loop*` and `ls -1 /dev/loop*` will yield the same sorting of the list but in a slightly different format ;-)) you will get the following output:
$ ls /dev/loop*
/dev/loop0   /dev/loop11  /dev/loop14  /dev/loop3  /dev/loop6  /dev/loop9
/dev/loop1   /dev/loop12  /dev/loop15  /dev/loop4  /dev/loop7
/dev/loop10  /dev/loop13  /dev/loop2   /dev/loop5  /dev/loop8
The sorting is from the left most column down etc .... So even if you are using less than 8 devices but your /dev has more than 9 bringing up the 3rd loop device will fail if your kernel is configured to support 8 loop devices but you /dev directory has more than 10 loop devices.

TIA
Paolo

Dave Smif wrote:

Thanks all. Its working now, but to fix it what I did was to reboot?

Fromj this, I would guess it was something to do with the loop
devices. I have the default 8 loop devices (0 to 7). The bizarre thing
is.... I was only using 2... or so I thought? Ho hum.