Re: [Xen-users] Xen to Desktop/Workstation questions

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jerry Amundson <jerry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:34:34 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:35:14 -0700

On Sun July 2 2006 21:09, Alexandre Miguel Pedro Gomes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm buying a new computer with a Pentium D 9xx processor and I was
> thinking of using Xen to run Linux and Windows XP Pro. The first
> thing I noticed in the Xen Manual is that Pentium D isn't listed as a
> supported processor, only x86 is support and not 64Bits. Can I still
> run Xen?

Probably. Depends on your "xx" - see
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors
The manual lists "x86/64" - did you mean something else?

> Related to graphics support I whish to know how do we "switch" guest
> OS if only one monitor is availble? If I've a graphics card with 2
> outputs (dual head), or a SLI configuration, is it possible to use
> dual head in the guests? And to have one OS in one monitor and the
> other in the second monitor? If I've two guests, Fedora and Windows
> XP Pro, can I run 3D accelerated games in Windows?

Can't help there - you might look for recent thread
on "devices", "graphical", etc.

> Can I "tri"-boot one of the OSes, that is, run a guest under Xen then
> reboot and run that same OS without Xen?

Probably. (sorry - ask a general question, get a general answer ;-)

jerry