Re: [Xen-users] Cheap HVM support

On Monday 17 July 2006 10:49 am, Tomas Kouba wrote:
> Hi *,
> I was looking at our local hardware e-shop for CPUs supporting HVM. I would
> like to experiment with Xen and join the development. AFAIK the cheapest
> CPU supporting HVM is Athlon64 3800+ for AM2. No particular support from
> motherboard (and chipset) needed.
> 1) Can somebody confirm this?

I have it working with an Athlon64 3200+. Anything AM2 except for Sempron will
work, apparently.

> 2) According to my observations the solution from Intel is a bit more needy
> (the better chipset, only dual core CPUs support VT). Am I right?

I have no first-hand experience with Intel's VT myself, but other posts
indicate that you're correct here.

> 3) What motherboard with AM2 is good according to your observation?

I'm using an ASUS M2NPV-VM, which I am very impressed with, so far.

--
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.