Re: [Xen-users] mini-os under xen 3.0.2

Am Montag, 17. Juli 2006 19:02 schrieb Henning Sprang:
> On 7/17/06, Robert Kaiser (FH) <kaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have successfully installed xen 3.0.2 on a dual celeron system. Linux
> > in dom0 works fine. Now, I would like to play with the mini-os (my
> > ultimate goal is to implement a small RTOS as guest in Xen, so mini-os
> > looks like an ideal starting point).
>
> Sounds interesting, but mabye xen-devel is more appropriate for such
> questions.

I'm a bit reluctant as, so far, this is mainly a user question.

> I can imageine that it will not be possible to have realtime
> functionality in a xen domU because the OS inside doesn't have full
> control for giving processes priority to exceute, there is also the
> xen layer that decides which domU has priority.

Yes. My _real_ _ultimate_ goal is to examine Xen's scheduling strategies wrt
real-time applicabiltiy and, possibly to devise and test new strategies that
might be better suited for real-time.

Anyway, so far, I am in the process of "firing up my test environment" and I
am a little stuck here. I would really appreciate some help getting the
mini-os to work.

Rob