Re: [Xen-users] the right way to install from source

  • To: "Abel Martín" <abel.martin.ruiz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:28:48 +0200
  • Cc: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:30:04 -0700

Thanks Abel, I'll try that.

On 7/19/06, Abel Martín <abel.martin.ruiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

 This is not xen-only stuff, but I use ccache to speed up compilations.
Install it and add these lines to your .bash_profile.

 if [ -d /usr/lib/ccache ] ; then
     PATH=/usr/lib/ccache:"${PATH}"
 fi

 The package files location might vary depending on your distro. It saves a
lot of time when recompiling.

On 7/19/06, Chris Fanning wrote:
> [...]
> If I want to recompile the kernel to include or exclude modules, I do
> steps 1, 4, 5.
>
> This works, but is there a better/faster way?

If you want to recompile the kernel, you have to recompile the kernel
- You could make it much faster by removing the part that takes the
most time while recompiling the kernel - recompiling the kernel, but
then, you wouldn't recompile the kernel :)

To be serious: the only way I know you can speed up recompiling the
kernel is removing any unnecessary modules. And if you split into xen0
and xenU kernel, you can cut each single kernel even more, and you are
faster if you ony need to change one of these.

There was a question here once asking which kernel features must keep
in the kernel to keep xen fully working, but was never answered.

Henning