[Xen-users] strange network usage in VMs immediately after a migration

  • To: "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:01:53 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:02:32 -0700

Hi,
I've been doing some monitoring of resource usage on my VMs and I
noticed something strange:

When I migrate a VM to a new host, there is a burst of network traffic
for all of the VMs already residing on the destination host.

If I check the TX bytes before and after migrating a VM which is
allocated 128mb of ram, I find that about 80mb of data has been
transfered by every single VM on the destination machine.  I'm getting
these numbers by looking at the RX/TX bytes reported in ifconfig for
each VIF interface.  Dom0 also sees about 150mb of data transfer, but
that makes sense b/c that is the data for the VM being migrated.

Can anyone explain why there is network activity on the other domains?
It doesn't seem to hurt anything, I'm just curious...
-Tim