Re: [Xen-users] problems with Iptables in DomU

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 06:11:45AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 09:06 +0200, Cristian Livadaru wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:40:08AM +0200, Cristian Livadaru wrote:
> > > Now that my xen is running, I wanted to set up dthe firewall on my domU
> > > but all I get is this error:
> > >
> > > lcx:~# iptables -L
> > > iptables v1.2.11: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Module is
> > > wrong version
> > > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> > >
> > > the modules for iptables are loaded:
> > > iptable_filter          4736  0
> > > ip_tables              23424  3
> > > iptable_mangle,iptable_nat,iptable_filter
> > >
> > > I have the same problem with Xen 3.0.1 and 2.0
> > > on dom0 it seems to work:
> > >
> > > master:~# iptables -L
> > > Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> > > target     prot opt source               destination
> > >
> > > I tripplechecked the howto and all kernel settings but can't figure
> > > where the problem is.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Cristian Livadaru
> >
> > Nobody here that can help?
> > This is so annoying that I will even pay for support if somebody can
> > solve this issue, I wasted already 2 days trying to figure this out!
> > None of the other tips I have received have helped.
> >
> > Cris
> <snip>
> I believe we hit this problem when we set up our first Xen test boxes
> for the ISCS network security management project
> (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) (which, by the way, has worked very
> successfully with Xen).
>
> If I recall, the problem was that we had a domU image with older
> iptables userspace tools and a kernel with a newer version of iptables.
> One would encounter the same problem in the reverse situation.  It can
> also result in unexplained segmentation faults.  Make sure that the
> kernel and the userspace tools (e.g., the iptables command) are the same
> version.  Hope this helps - John
> --
> John A. Sullivan III
> Open Source Development Corporation
> +1 207-985-7880
> jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Financially sustainable open source development
> http://www.opensourcedevel.com

thank YOU !
this has not realy solved my problem but it made me look in the right
spot!
since my dom0 is amd_64 I installed debian from here from deb...
/debian-amd64

but the domU has been installed from /debian
I had a other domU that was installed corect from /debian-amd64 and
there everything works.

Please don't ask WHY on earth I installed that one from /debian and not
amd64 ! I have no idea!
Probably the 35 deg. Celsius in the office :)

Regards, Cristian Livadaru