Re: [Xen-users] Installation of Xen-red hat on read hat 4.0

On 21 Jul 2006, at 17:07, Al Prabhu-A20954 wrote:

I Red hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 on my PC, The trail binary I downloaded from xen site is xen-red hat for red hat enterprise Linux 4.1 version.
So, may I able to able to install this xen binary on red hat 4.0?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as RHEL 4.1. There is RHEL 4 which is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, and then there are quarterly updates to this. Maybe the site means RHEL 4 Update 1?

If that is the case, then you may find that ONLY update 1 works, as Red Hat patch the kernel from time to time and the Xen kernel patches may not apply anymore if building from source. If it's a binary install, then I guess Xensource are providing the kernel, but then the question becomes 'what about security updates?'

--
Wayne Pascoe    (gpg --keyserver www.co.uk.pgp.net --recv-keys 79A7C870)
Making numberplates