[Xen-users] xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Constantinos Hassapis <conhassapis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:07:29 -0700

Hi,

I switched to Fedora Core 5 and I now have a few problems when booting
a domU virtual machine with Xen (as provided by the FC5 installation).
I get the following boot trace when trying to bot a domU:

Mounting proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs filesystem
Creating /dev
Creating initial device nodes
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
exec of init (/sbin/init) failed!!!: No such file or directory

I have tried both a real block device and a file-backed virtual block
device for the root file-system, without success.
I have also tried to change the configuration file in many ways. I have
changed the file system from ro to be rw, and I have also tried to boot
with and without initrd.

I followed the instructions form the Xen user manual to create the root
file-system (first copy the dirs that root, dev, var, etc, usr, bin,
sbin, lib and then create the proc, sys, home, tmp dirs).

dd if=/dev/zero of=vm1disk bs=1k seek=2048k count=1

mkfs -t ext3 vm1disk

mount -o loop vm1disk /mnt

cp -ax /{root,dev,var,etc,usr,bin,sbin,lib} /mnt
mkdir /mnt/{proc,sys,home,tmp}

umount /mnt

I used the following config file for the domU:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5xenU.img"
memory = 256
disk = [ 'file:/root/vmrootfs,sda1,w' ]
name = "ExampleDomain"
vif = [ '' ]
root = "/dev/sda1"
extra = "4"

The /etc/fstab file of the file system that the vm will use is:
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

And I have also tried with the following alternate versions of
/etc/fstab:
1)
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

2)
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0

3)
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0

Note that I have succesfully managed to boot a vm using a file system
image from tty-linux5.0. So, my assumption is that the problems is
related to the file system image that I use for the Fedora install.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Do you Yahoo!?