Re: [Xen-users] How to determine if executing under Xen

Henning Sprang schrieb:
On 7/27/06, mjfeeney@xxxxxxxxxxx <mjfeeney@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched but could not find a
similar question.

 I am writing a device driver targeted for Linux 2.6.16 running under Xen
3.0.

If this is the target, why worry about scenarios when the driver is no
running on xen?

Is there an easy mechanism for my code to determine if Linux is
running as a Xen domain rather than natively?  I want to behave slightly
differently in each case.

Sounds like a xen developer question.

I am not kernel hacker enough to know how a kernel module can find
which other modules are active. If there's a way, I'd just check for
the xen specific modules. For example, the xen kernel is running on a
specific subarchitecture of i386, if you can find that, you are on a
xen kernel.

have a look a the Xen Demo-CD. Some time ago I had a look at all the scripts hacked in to it to do all kinds of magic stuff (like auto-starting vncviewer and so on. I remember stumbling across several places whith checks if the instance is runnnig as guest or dom0.

Bye,
Andrej