[Xen-users] grub gags on xen

I have a Sun Fire X4100 server which I'm trying to turn into a Xen box.
Currently it's running Gentoo x86_64 with no problems.

I built and installed Xen 3.0.2 from the Gentoo ebuild, and made a dom0
kernel from Gentoo's package of the Xen kernel sources, version
2.6.16.26.

When I try to boot into Xen, Grub throws an error:

   Error 24: Attempt to access block outside partition

When I google for that error, I only find references to corrupt
filesystems in a boot partition, but my boot partition fsck's fine, and
other kernels in the same filesystem load fine.  To rule out the
possibility of a damaged xen.gz, I renamed the file (the real one, not
any of the symlinks) and reinstalled from scratch; same error.  I can
also read the file (gzip -d, cat, cp) once the OS is up and running, so
I don't think I have data corruption issues.

So now I'm at a loss.  I don't even know how I'd go about getting more
information, since it's not like you can run your boot loader under a
debugger... Has anybody else run into this?  Any idea what I might be
doing wrong?

In case any of this matters, my disk is partitioned like so:

$ sudo /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 72.9 GB, 72999763968 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8875 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1           5       40131   83  Linux
/dev/sda2               6         491     3903795   83  Linux
/dev/sda3             492         977     3903795   83  Linux

sda1 is formatted with ext3, sda2 and sda3 are both reiserfs.

...and here's my grub.conf (again, both non-Xen kernels work fine):

$ cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
timeout 10
default 2
fallback 1

title Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinux-2.6.17-amd64 root=/dev/sda3

title Gentoo64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinux-2.6.17-amd64-mrj64 root=/dev/sda2

title xen dom0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=262144
module /vmlinux-2.6.16.26-xen-xen0 root=/dev/sda2

The Xen portion of that config is mostly cribbed from a working setup on
my desktop.

Any clues, sugguestions, or requests for further info are welcome.

Thanks,
-Michael