[Xen-users] [newbie] Error: Not an HVM capable platform...

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ben Anderson" <benanderson.us@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 15:18:29 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:19:17 -0700

Hi,
I've run linux off an on for several years.  Recently I've been using
windows (simply for ease), but have gotten so fed up with stability
and what not.  I had read good things about xen, so I installed suse
and was hoping to not give up the 10% of things that I need windows
for.  I've still got windows on a partition and was wondering if I
could boot that, but wanted to start easy.  So I followed these
directions:
http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example
(sort of)
actually I installed xen through yast and then rebooted with the xen -
linux option in grub (the directions don't mention this, but I think
its implied?)

Anyways here's the output I'm getting when I try this:
andersonbd1-suse:/etc/xen/vm # xm create myxm.hvm
Using config file "myxm.hvm".
Error: Not an HVM capable platform, we stop creating

The only searches I did for this error recommended enabling VT in your
bios.  I checked my BIOS configuration options and didn't see anything
like VT.

Any insight would be great (even if you could just point me to
documentation or something).

Thanks,
Ben