[Xen-users] Re: dual boot windows

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ishaaq Chandy" <ishaaq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:17:04 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:18:03 -0700

Umm, any clues on this one?

Ishaaq

On 10/08/06, Ishaaq Chandy <ishaaq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm new to Xen - in fact I haven't installed it yet - wanted to find out a bit more before I test the waters.

Here's what I want to do:

1. I'm getting a new Intel Core duo laptop within a couple of days. I believe the core duo chips have Vanderpool technology so it shouldn't be a problem getting Xen to run windows unmodified - is this correct?

2. I need to install WIndows normally on the hard-drive. In fact, it comes pre-installed by the manufacturer, but I don't mind blowing it away and reinstalling it from scratch if I need to. I plan to run this installation normally at times when I need to run hardware intensive software - aka 3D games :)

3. I plan to dual boot to a linux installation (Ubuntu??). This installation will have Xen installed in it. From here I hope to be able to load up the Windows installation mentioned in point 2 above when I need to. Is this possible? Or do I need to (I am hoping to avoid this) install a second Windows installation (and get the required licenses) from within Xen?

Thanks,
Ishaaq