Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:49:37 +0200
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] using physical disks with HVM
To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
As a previous thread in
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-06/msg01111.html
tells, it should be possible tun run hvm domains with a physical disk.
There where other threads about this, but no solution for my current
problem.
When I try to use a disk defined as

disk    = [ 'phy:data/faitest-client-generic-hvm-disk,ioemu:hda,w']

(The device is a lvm volume) in my hvm domU, I get the message:

Error: hvm: for qemu vbd type=file&dev=hda~hdd

It seems qemu is expecting to get a file-based disk. What do I need to
do to get hvm use a physical disk?

I built Xen-3.0-testing from sources, so it might be that I am missing
a dependency (no idea where they are documented, I figured the
necessary dependenices for hvm myself).

Henning