Re: [Xen-users] Full Virtualization: linux in linux?

Alex Iribarren wrote:
Hi,

I'm doing some tests of Xen with the latest Intel processors and I'd
like to run an unmodified linux inside a virtual machine. If possible,
I'd like to be able to install this OS (a version of Scientific Linux,
in case you're interested) from our PXE servers, but I can also install
it from a DVD image.

I've seen several HOWTOs on running Windows like this, so I thought it
would be pretty similar. I basically replaced the Windows CD image for
an SL image, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I get this:

xenmaster ~ # xm create -c /etc/xen/slc43.hvm
Using config file "/etc/xen/slc43.hvm".
Started domain SLC43
xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
xenmaster ~ # xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0      343     4 r----- 11909.8
SLC43                             36     2048     1 -b----     0.0

The virtual machine is apparently up, but I can't (or don't know how to)
connect to it, it just sits there blocked. The same thing happens if I
use SDL and VNC. I've googled to see if I could fix that problem with
xencosole, but with no results. I've downloaded a Debian image from
jailtime.org and that works fine (although I don't see the kernel boot
messages, which is kind of odd).
Alex,
I'm not convinced that your guest is really "up".
OK, xm shows a process but I bet it is just an "empty shell" as there is this error message in your debug output:

No such file or directory: '/dev/hda'

I'd go for this and try to find out the reason. If you want you can post your config file here.
Good luck,
Andrej