[Xen-users] Re: Running an already installed Windows as domU

(cc to xen-list)

>> Who gives HVM support, the "ioemu:" string?
>xen give the HVM support
>there are two kinds of installation method for guest OS
>1 common config
>   seems like yours
>
>2 HVM support config
>/etc/xen/xmexample.hvm
>
>try to use the second method,

I am using xmexample.hvm:
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 512
name = "winxp"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = ... see below
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'destroy'
on_crash    = 'destroy'
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
cdrom='/dev/hdb'
boot='c'
sdl=1
vnc=0
vncviewer=0
stdvga=0
serial='pty'
ne2000=0

The original disk variable was:
#disk = [ 'phy:hda1,hda1,r' ]
disk = [ 'file:/var/images/min-el3-i386.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

(I summarize for the list)
I would like to run a natively installed Windows as a domU from its
own partition (primary partition of an EIDE disk set as the second
disk in the bios boot order).
If I don't use "ioemu:", as in the example.hvm commented line, I get
"Could not read the boot disk". I get something work but hanging with
these values:
- phy:/dev/hda1,ioemu:hda
  qemu sees the hard disk, tries to boot:
  "ata0 master: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-2 (23838 MBytes).
  Booting from hard disk" but it hangs up there.
  domU state is ------.
- phy:/dev/hda,ioemu:hda
  It reports booting from hard disk, then displays Windows bootloader
  menu (Normal or Safe mode), I choose one and Windows hangs up.
  domU state is r-----.
- phy:hda1,ioemu:hda
  phy:hda,ioemu:hda
  Xen says "Started domain winxp" but domU window is not opened.
  domU state is -b----.

These are all the tries I did:

phy:hda1        ,hda1
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:/dev/hda1   ,hda1
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:hda1        ,ioemu:hda1
  "Error: hvm: for qemu vbd type=file&dev=hda~hdd". No domU started.
phy:/dev/hda1   ,ioemu:hda1
  "Error: hvm: for qemu vbd type=file&dev=hda~hdd". No domU started.
phy:hda1        ,hda
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:/dev/hda1   ,hda
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:hda1        ,ioemu:hda
  "Started domain winxp" but no windows opened. State is -b----.
phy:/dev/hda1   ,ioemu:hda
  "ata0 master: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-2 (23838 MBytes).
  Booting from hard disk" but hangs up. State is ------.
phy:hda         ,hda
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:/dev/hda    ,hda
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:hda         ,ioemu:hda
  "Started domain winxp" but no windows opened. State is -b----.
phy:/dev/hda    ,ioemu:hda
  Boots from hd, displays Win bootloader menu but hangs up. r-----.
phy:hda         ,hda1
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:/dev/hda    ,hda1
  Opens domU but "Could not read the boot disk"
phy:hda         ,ioemu:hda1
  "Error: hvm: for qemu vbd type=file&dev=hda~hdd". No domU started.
phy:/dev/hda    ,ioemu:hda1
  "Error: hvm: for qemu vbd type=file&dev=hda~hdd". No domU started.

Where is the problem? In Xen, in Qemu, in Windows wanting to be the
first disk?

--
Z24