Re: [Xen-users] can't get multiple VLANs to work

  • To: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jason Goodwin" <jason.m.goodwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:31:35 -0500
  • Cc: "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>, Sébastien CRAMATTE <s.cramatte@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:32:19 -0700

Just to throw my $0.02 in...

I have servers setup with vlans and bridging, in a slightly different setup. I have four NICs in my servers. Two are management network dom0 only. The other two are for the domU vlans. So, eth0/1 are just on one vlan, nothing special. eth2/3 are on multiple vlans. For each vlan, I setup the eth2.vlanid, eth3.vlanid. I create bridges for each vlan (make sure to enable STP, I missed that once...not fun). Attach both eth2.vlanid and eth3.vlanid to their respective bridges for each vlan. The trick for me was to make sure and run 'ip link set dev up' on all the vlan interfaces AND the bridges. I have no IP configured for dom0 on any of the domU VLANs. In the domU configs, just specify the bridge to attach to, nothing fancy to configure in the domU.

I didn't need the bandwidth of bonding (plus I'm cabled to separate switches for redundancy), and with both interfaces and STP enabled I should get interface redundancy, though I haven't gone over and pulled the plug on a NIC to test it yet.

I'm not using the standard xen networking scripts, as it was simpler for me to just write one that created all the interfaces/bridges. I can share it if anyone is interested, it is a modified version of a script I came across (probably off this list).
--
Jason