Re: [Xen-users] DomU install using Yast2 xen can't find CDROM installation source (HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed)

I agree completely. I have never had a good DomU creation with SuSE 10.1 on a
64-bit machine It always crashes just after installing the kernel-xen to the
new install with 88 packages to go. Personally I think Novell should have
delayed a month releasing 10.1. The trouble with the new update, rug, is a
nightmare. I did create a DomU with 10.1 using the 32-bit kernel on an old
Dell with a pair of Pentium II. If there would be a way to create a DVD with
the current rpm updates you might be able to do it. However they have some
new way of signing the installation. See
http://en.opensuse.org/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs .

Forget trying to create using CD's. That is hopeless. I once got it to read
the first CD but couldn't swap CD's when requested. I did try the published
way of block-list/detach/attach with no success. Finally ended up by copying
the DVD to an iso file on the hard drive, dd /dev/dvd suse10_1.iso. Then
installing from that iso.

After a month and a half of frustration I downloaded a trial version of SLES
10 and it worked as advertised. Still can't figure out how to easily create a
vm2 from the first vm1 without installing from the DVD. Right now it is more
of a sledge hammer approach. Create a copy of both the configuration file
in /etc/xen/vm/ and the image file in /var/lib/xen/image/. Increment the vm
name by one, vm1 becomes vm2. Edit the config file to point to the copied
image and change the name. Then do an xm create and go to the console to
adjust the network card configuration. I have document this approach and if
anyone wants a copy of my notes drop me an e-mail.

I am doing this work for a Master's project at Ferris State University, Big
Rapids, Michigan. Once the final paper is done I plan to make it available to
the community. Possibly be able to creat a HOWTO for Xen on SeSE. We lost the
graduate network classroom and had to merge with the undergrad program. The
space was not present for the additional pc's so they had to be shared. We
couldn't leave the machine up in Linux 24/7 due to other student needs. The
solution was a server running Domain0 and twenty guests. Perfect environment
for Xen. Because most of the students are communters they need to acces their
Linux box from off campus via SSH.

Tim