RE: [Xen-users] Xeon 5160 vs 5080

Put quite simply: Hyperthreading makes more sense on a very long
pipeline (because on any branch-mispredict or some other pipeline stall,
there is a second chance to have something useful to do, ready to run).
As I'm sure plenty of people are aware, Hyperthreading can give better
performance in some cases, but there are plenty of cases where it
actually performs worse.

Since both the AMD processors and the newer Intel processors don't have
very long pipelines, they also haven't got Hyperthreading.

Of course, everything in the processor design is a balance between the
performance gain and cost in transistors.

--
Mats